Compiling Sane Now Infuriating

From: Jeffrey W. Baker (jwbaker@acm.org)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 08:44:22 PST

    Is it actually possible to compile sane? I downloaded both parts of the
    1.0.4 package. I tried to build the backends, but sanei_scsi.c has some
    preprocessor horkage by which it includes /usr/include/scsi/sg.h and
    /usr/include/linux/../scsi/sg.h, which are clearly the same file and gcc
    gets pissed off by redefinition. After I fixed this problem (not the
    right way, I'm sure, but by hard-coding #include <scsi/sg.h>), the package
    compiled and installed.

    Then I turned to the frontends. They won't even configure, because they
    can't detect the sane installation. The test program fails because it
    doesn't understand sane_major_version. No surprise there, because none of
    the sane header files define sane_major_version, only SANE_VERSION_MAJOR.

    BTW my system is slackware-current, Linux 2.4.0, gcc 2.95.2, glibc 2.2.

    So the bottom line is that I cannot compile sane release 1.0.4 on this
    system at all. Did I miss a magic step, or should I try the CVS version
    instead?

    For now, I'm sticking with vuescan.

    -jwb