Re: problem installing sane

From: Jack and Julie Saba (saba@ari.net)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 17:37:03 PST

    Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 06:04:43PM -0500, Jack and Julie Saba wrote:
    > > b. I ran .configure, make, and make install in the
    > > sane-backends-1.0.4 directory. Everything seemed to run OK
    > > with the default configuration. I did not make any manual
    > > changes to the makefile. There is no entry for
    > > /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf, as appropriate for sane
    > > versions > 1.01.
    >
    > Please reread the INSTALL file about this carefully. There should be a
    > line /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf. The comment is talking about
    > /usr/local/lib/sane which should not be in ld.so.conf. Also run
    > ldconfig after the installation of sane-backends.
    >
    > Does it work now?
    >
    > Bye,
    > Henning

    Henning,

    Thanks for responding. Yes, you are right, I misread the
    INSTALL documentation. The /usr/local/lib entry is
    required. Unfortunately, adding this and running ldconfig
    did NOT solve the problem -- the same error occurs at the
    same place when running ./configure for sane-frontend-1.0.4:

    checking for SANE - version >= 1.0.0... no
    *** Could not run SANE test program, checking why...
    ERROR: SANE is needed for compiling sane-frontends
                - if you installed SANE as rpm make sure you
    also included sane-devel

    I even tried reinstalling the sane-backend after running
    ldconfig, and then rerunning ldconfig after this reinstall,
    which didn't seem likely to help, and it didn't.

    Jack Saba
    saba@ari.net