Re: don't know how to connect my umax scanner

From: Per Jönsson (pt98pjo@student.hk-r.se)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 17:46:02 PST

    On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Oliver Rauch wrote:

    >Per Jönsson wrote:
    >>
    >> Now, I don't know where to go from here. "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" prints
    >> "Attached devices: none"
    >
    >Hi Per,
    >
    >when cat /proc/scsi/scsi does not list your scanner it makes no
    >sense to use find-scanner or scanimage.
    >
    >1) Is the scanner turned on an in "ready" mode (READY lamp on, not flashing)
    >BEFORE you insmod g_NCR*

    Yes, it is.

    >2) Is the scanner connected correct and the termination of the scanner and
    >the scsi card correct

    Yes, I believe so. The card is connected to the scsi port on the scanner
    that is closest to the power switch, and the terminator is connected to
    the other port. (I've tried to switch these, but with the same result.)

    >3) Is the scanner recogniced under windows?

    No, I have tried with NT4 and Win98, and cannot get the scanner to work in
    those. When I first bought the scanner, I used Win95, so I believe (or
    hope at least) that the problem is the driver (VistaScan). I haven't
    tried the scanner with Win2k, because I don't want to mess up my
    installation (I recall that VistaScan isn't that uninstallable ;-))... The
    problem in windows is "link error", and I guess that can mean that either
    the card, the scanner, or both are damaged. However, as I said, I hope
    that it is the driver that doesn't work.

    >Bye
    >Oliver

    -
    Per