Configure not finding SANE

From: Doug X (fearless1@visto.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 19:53:44 PST

    Hi all,
      I just updated to sane 1.0.4 and I have got stuck in configuring the frontends. The sane-frontends-1.0.4/configure script won't find the freshly installed sane.

    System info
    Mandrake 7.2
    linux 2.2.17
    128MB
    P1 200mmx

    What I did was as user,
    cd sane-backends-1.0.4
    ./configure
    make
    su
    make install
    exit
    cd ../sane-frontends-1.0.4
    ./configure

    and then it ...

    [doug@heavenbound sane-frontends-1.0.4]$ script
    Script started, file is typescript
    [doug@heavenbound sane-frontends-1.0.4]$ ./configure
    creating cache ./config.cache
    checking whether GIMP plugin is requested... yes
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
    checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for AIX... no
    checking for minix/config.h... no
    checking for POSIXized ISC... no
    checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... no
    checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for fcntl.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... yes
    checking for libc.h... no
    checking for sys/time.h... yes
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    checking for working const... yes
    checking for inline... inline
    checking return type of signal handlers... void
    checking for size_t... yes
    checking for pid_t... yes
    checking for ssize_t... yes
    checking for u_char... yes
    checking for u_int... yes
    checking for u_long... yes
    checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
    checking for working alloca.h... yes
    checking for alloca... yes
    checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
    checking for getpagesize... yes
    checking for working mmap... yes
    checking for atexit... yes
    checking for mkdir... yes
    checking for sigprocmask... yes
    checking for strdup... yes
    checking for strndup... yes
    checking for strftime... yes
    checking for strstr... yes
    checking for strsep... yes
    checking for strtod... yes
    checking for snprintf... yes
    checking for usleep... yes
    checking for strcasecmp... yes
    checking for strncasecmp... yes
    checking for sane-config... /usr/local/bin/sane-config
    checking for SANE - version >= 1.0.0... no
    *** Could not run SANE test program, checking why...
    ERROR: SANE is needed for compiling sane-frontends
         - if you installed SANE as rpm make sure you also included
           sane-devel
    [doug@heavenbound sane-frontends-1.0.4]$ sane-config --version
    1.0.4
    [doug@heavenbound sane-frontends-1.0.4]$ scanimage -L
    device `hp:/dev/sga' is a Hewlett-Packard C7670A flatbed scanner
    [doug@heavenbound sane-frontends-1.0.4]$ exit
    Script done, file is typescript

    What does the script use to find the version no. This is an out of the box install effort, but it worked with 1.0.3.

    What do I need to do to get this to configure?

    Thanks in advance

    Doug.