Re: Comments on sane-frontend

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 11:30:26 PST

    On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 11:13:46AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
    > I just discovered a small misfeature in sane-frontend. If configure
    > do not find Gtk, it will generate makefiles, but no program is
    > compiled.

    If I remember correctly the idea was to be prepared for non-gtk
    frontends (such as scanadf).

    > Unless some curses frontend is included in the package, I
    > believe configure should let the user know that Gtk is required.

    I thought the messages are clear enough:
    *** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
    *** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
    *** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
    *** full path to gtk-config.
    [...]
    WARNING: GTK-0.99.13 or newer is needed for compiling
             sane-frontends. If you installed gtk as rpm make sure
             you also installed gtk-devel
             ===> GUIs will be deactivated
    [...]
    * * GTK not found: GUIs deactivated *

    Maybe we shouldn't ignore the missing gtk for this release but I'm
    not sure.

    > To get this far, I had to change the check for sane-backend, as
    > sane_major_version and all the other symbols referenced in the compile
    > test is unknown in "sane.h".

    Looks like a bug (probably cut'n'paste and from the gtk test). But
    this check should only be compiled if sane-config is found and the
    output of sane-config is wrong (e.g. sane.h not in the right
    directory) or something else goes wrong during compilation or running
    the test for the minimal sane version. It's only a test if
    compiling/linking or running the test programm was the source of the
    problem (it should be fixed anyway).
    A program just including sane/sane.h and returning SANE_CURRENT_MAJOR
    should be ok.

    Bye,
      Henning