Re: seg-faults for network access

From: Daniel Kerry Hiltgen (dhiltgen@lug.ee.calpoly.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 21:28:45 PST

    > Similar things happen if scanning via saned on localhost (something

    Yes, I tried doing a network connection on the localhost (sparc) and it
    also failed.

    > Oh! I'm very interested in this scanner. Is this a Legal size or A4
    > scanner? Please send me the output (dbg.log) of the following
    > command:

    Legal size.

    > SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=5 scanimage -L 2>dbg.log

    Attached.

    > Is it working with the Mustek backend without problems?

    Not sure. Preview mode seems to work on the local system, but when I
    tried to run it at 600dpi color it bus-errored. I fired it up in gdb
    (just specifying color but not resolution) and tried again and it seemed
    to work, but then the machine sort of locked up. I ^C'd it and it turns
    out it had scanned a few inches correctly by that time. I've only got
    one SCSI bus, and I gather it's locking up the bus during the scan.
    Might work if I'm dumping to the network, but dumping to a disk on that
    bus seems to cause problems. The other problem is the system only has
    32 megs of RAM. The house LAN is 100mbit, so in theory not much ram
    should be required, but...

    I've sort of come to the realization that this sparc probably isn't
    really going to work as the house scanner machine, but I have to get
    around to buying another SCSI card for one of the PCs.

    If there's any more data I can provide to help out let me know.

    --
    Daniel Kerry Hiltgen   Computer Science   Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA
           Graduated 1999:     Currently work for Sun Microsystems