Re: Umax 2200 Scsi - PIII 800 Mhz

From: abel deuring (a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 04:14:10 PST

    Stephen Carr wrote:

    > Dear All
    >
    > I have been trying to get a Umax 2200 scanner to run under Linux
    > 2.4.0-test10 with XFree-4.0.1 and the latest back and front ends.
    > The system is 256 Mb ram 800 Mhz PIII, acard 6712 SCSI card
    > and an Aopen 34X Pro mother board with the Via 686a chipset.

    Do you use the atp870u driver for the Acard adapter?

    This driver has a few lines which look very suspicious to me:

    oktosend:
            memcpy(&ata_cdbu[h][0], &workrequ->cmnd[0], workrequ->cmd_len);
            if (ata_cdbu[h][0] == 0x25) {
                    if (workrequ->request_bufflen > 8) {
                            workrequ->request_bufflen = 0x08;
                    }
            }
            if (ata_cdbu[h][0] == 0x12) {
                    if (workrequ->request_bufflen > 0x24) {
                            workrequ->request_bufflen = 0x24;
                            ata_cdbu[h][4] = 0x24;
                    }

    }

    (copied from atp870u.c, line507ff, lk 2.2.13)

    I am far away from understanding the driver, but I suspect that the "if
    (ata_cdbu[h][0] == 0x12)" clips the data size for the INQUIRY command to
    0x24 bytes. A number of scanners, including Umax, return more data for
    this command. And the data clipped off by the atp870u driver might be
    essential for the Umax backend. (Oliver, correct me, if I'm wrong)

    Abel