Re: Scanner config: Microtek 3E

From: kate@kens.com
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 09:54:20 PST

     I thought I sent a post to this list, but haven't seen it come up. So,
     forgive me if this is the second time you've seen this question:

     I've successfully installed SuSE 7.0, and am trying to get the scanner to
     work.

     Its a Microtek E3 that worked under windows as is - so we can rule out
     cord or termination problems, I am told.

     SCSI card advansys revA ASC3150 on an IDE system.

     The SCSI adapter is recognized no problem, sane is installed, the scanner
     is recognized under 'scanimage -L' as a Mikrotec 3E. So far, so good.

     Starting xscanimage offers a selection box that differs from the booklet.
     (I have the personal version - no big manual included) The booklet shows a
     box that includes;

     pnm:0
     pnm:1
     Microtek:/dev/scanner
     Microtek:/dev/sga

     My box shows only;

     Microtek:/dev/scanner
     Microtek:/dev/sga

     I do not know if this is relevant. I did notice that an empty "out.pnm"
     file has been created in my home directory. (I've been trying to run it
     as root, so permissions are not an issue). I tried scanning in jpeg
     format, didn't work any better than my test.

     This is the error message generated:

     scanimage:sane_start: Error during device I/O

     The manual also refers to the 'sgcheck' command - there is no sign of this
     on my system. It does not work. But my hardward guy assures me there is no
     problem with the addressing.

     I did save the output of SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK to a url if anyone wants to
     look at it:

     http://www.katewerk.com/file.txt

     Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a rank novice, though -
     so, keep that in mind if you have instructions. :)

    --
    Kate
    http://www.katewerk.com