Minolta / Avision film scanner / sane driver

From: Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida (moitinho@civil.ist.utl.pt)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 03:33:43 PST

    Hello

    I just got a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II, which is a usb film scanner by
    Minolta (http://www.minolta.com/dp/dual2/index.html), which was rumoured to
    be manufactured by Avision.

    The usb ID (0638/026a) confirms the rumours about the manufacturer.

    Using a module (usb-scsi) that has been posted to usb-devel (still very
    incomplete and no further news from the author) I have managed to access the
    scanner as a scsi device and use sane with the avision driver to make it move
    (perhaps dumping an image, but certainly crashing the system...).

    The point is that the avision driver seems to be concerned only with flatbed
    scanners, thus I don't have any control on film movement, slides/film strip,
    etc.

    Before any further movement I would like to ask the list:

    a) avision or minolta specs anyone?
    b) anyone with a similar scanner is interested in trying to develop/adapt a
    driver for this scanner?

    If I get the information I will anyway try to go at it, but "my experience in
    device programming is limited (TM)".

    Regards