Re: New backends for SANE 1.0.4

From: kwlee (kwlee88@tpts5.seed.net.tw)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 02:52:27 PST

    > > the only thing i have done is modify the Makefile and just compile my
    > > backend. So, i hope someone can help me include my backend to
    > > the config file or something like that, especially to put all my c++ and
    *
    > > .h files
    > > under viceo directory(there are too many files on my backend, so putting
    > > them on one directory is a good choice) .
    >
    > Yes, definitely. I personally don't like these many files...
    > especially because all other backends come with one (or few) .c
    > file(s).
    Because most of those scanners are embedded with F/W or cpu
    so it's so simple to make those scanners work correctly.
    Now all efforts are taken over by drivers, so you need so many files.
    hummm...if you can give me a hand to modify makefile which can
    compiles files under a directory:)

    > > Other issues, i have read other mail about your concern on putting
    > > backend on SANE 1.04:
    > > .global variable to static var
    > > .remove c++ // comment
    > > I'm afraid i can not do it:( because there are too many c++ files with
    > > hundred of global vars...
    >
    > Both are necessary. The // comments will break the build with older
    > compilers (e.g. on Solaris, AIX and Irix). The global variables and
    > functions without "static" can lead to a naming problems because they
    > can occur in other backends, too.
    :( that can take me over one month efforts.

    > Some more points:
    >
    > * All this code is GPL? Add the GPL header to all of them.
    yep, i'll add next release!
    > * Why is the prefix .cpp? Is there any c++ code in these files? Only C
    > should be used in SANE
    Because original codes are developed by c++(MS Visual c++)
    but c++ work perfectly in sane 1.0.3:)

    > * Don't use printf for messages. Use the DBG macros instead.
    OK!
    > * there are lots of warnings about comparison between signed and
    > unsigned, unused vars, comma at end of enumerator list, etc.
    > * the code doesn't seem to compile with all the warning options enabled
    > * don't use "pragma" or any other gcc-specific directives
    > * look at the file "GUIDE" in the SANE distribution for some more hints
    > * write a man page
    I'll rease those warning next release!
    about man page, can someone give me a hand ? I'm a orient guy with
    poor english:(

    > I was surprised a bit because the code is this big (ca. 500 kb source
    > code) in comparison to the compiled library (ca. 50k). Is all of the
    > code used in the library?
    As explained about so many files, they are definitely used!

    > As far as I see there is quite some work to do. So I suggest to not
    > include the backend into SANE 1.0.4. If you want to do the changes,
    > you will have more time until SANE 1.0.5. This will give some time for
    > testing, too.
    :( OK,

    > However, a viceo.desc file can be included now. Look at the other
    > .desc files and the template file for examples and send your file to
    > me. I can check it into CVS and add a PROJECTS entry, too.

    Thanks!

    kw