Re: TODO list

From: kwlee (kwlee88@tpts5.seed.net.tw)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 17:46:09 PST

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 11:38:46AM +0800, kwlee wrote:
    > > .Warmup-time: This is almost necessary for most entry level scanners to
    > > warmup
    > > the lamp, in driver level, must have API to report the warmup
    remain
    > > times, i don't
    > > understand why people under SANE never discuss about that ? this is
    > > pretty common
    > > under Windows.
    >
    > I never had this problem so ... If I understand this correctly you
    > want to have some sort of mechanism to send messages from the backend
    > to the frontend, right? This isn't possible with SANE 1 so it must
    > wait for SANE 2. I have added an entry to the LEVEL2 file about this.
    > However, I don't know how this could be implemented for command line
    > frontends ...
    >
    > With the current SANE 1: I don't know if defining an option as
    > SANE_CAP_SOFT_DETECT (without any of the _SELECT caps) works. Is this
    > warm-up time needed once per scan or only after turning on the scanner?
    > If it's only needed after startup, maybe you can add an option which
    > says something like "scanner will be ready at <time>" and remove the
    > option (or use the string "Scanner is ready now") after the time is
    > over.
    well, i need a API which frontend can query backend the warm up remaining
    time.
     humm this is necessary for no-cpu(or firmware) CCD scanner(not for CIS one)
    drivers have to check the lamp is warming up enough.
    this behavior is only necessary for user the first time connect the power,
    if the lamp always turn-on, there is no need to check warm up remain time...

    > > H/W JPEG scanning: simple! the scanner ouput jpeg image without any
    effort
    > > of driver,
    > > the only effort is that we need to add
    jpeg
    > > file header to this raw
    > > image data.
    >
    > Additional frame types are also an issue for SANE 2 (the standard has
    > to be changed for this).
    This is great! where can i find SANE 2 ?

    > > S/W JPEG decompress: this is "run time" decompress, you can never
    predict
    > > the exact
    > > data(after decompress) you will, so many
    > > extra efforts need to
    > > implement.
    >
    > I'm not sure if I understood this. You want to decompress the jpeg
    > data coming from the scanner in the backend (to solve the problem of
    > missing jpeg-support in SANE)? So this is a problem of implementing
    > the function in the backend?
    OK! the jpeg data coming from scanner, some manufactures use this mode
    to speed-up scanning, for example A4 600 dpi color can be achieved
    around 1.5 minutes, so scanning with jpeg mode, and decompress by driver.
    In SANE, the decompressing can be done by backend or frontend! but
    in my opnion, there could be more & more H/W jpeg supported scanners,
    so better there has API can support this kind of decompression

    > > yep! http://www.abaforum.es/martim/bird/otlinux.htm
    >
    > Ok. I added this backend to the TODO-list.
    >
    > If you like you can make a viceo.desc file which can be included in
    > the SANE distribution. After SANE 1.0.4 is finished, the SANE website
    > would show an entry for your backend in this case. Otherwise I would
    > make an entry in the projects file.
    I'm junior about SANE, so i need your help:)
    i have no idea about the differences on desc & projects files:( the detail
    descriptions of my problems on anothe new 1.04 backend.

    > I downloaded your backend for a quick look. I had some problems to
    > find the Readme. It looks like the file Readme in readme.tar.gz is
    > itsself a tar file (which includes Todo once again).
    I'll fix problems and add more about readme, i know it's too rough:(

    Regards,
    kw