SCSI and HP 5P Scanner

From: William Lott (wlott@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 11:10:35 PST

    I realize that this may not be the appropriate place to ask the
    following question, but I don't know where to turn now that technical
    support from McMillan (Mandrake 7.1) blew me off. I simply want to get
    my system configured so that I can use my HP 5P scanner on my linux
    computer. I need simple directions to get the SCSI card work and to
    configure SANE to run my scanner. If there is a better forum for me,
    please advise. Below is an edited version of the question I posed to
    McMillan.

    summary=Getting SCSI card to run HP 5P scanner
    problem=When I installed Mandrake 7.1 I was able to indicate that the
    computer had an Adaptec AHA 2940 UU W bios SCSI card. I had hoped to
    attach my HP 5P scanner to this card. When I went to run xscanimage or
    scanimage, I get the message that no scanner is attached. I then went
    to the program (HardDrake ??) that identifies hardware on your computer.
      My Adaptec AIC-7881U card shows, the AHA 2940UUW does not. The later
    is the card with the 50 pin adaptor that is consistent with the scanner.
      I notice when I boot the computer ( a Compaq) that the computer sees
    the AHA 2940 but does not turn on or install the bios on the card. My
    wife is on my case to get the scanner running. I believe I have 2
    options, but am not sure how to proceed.
    1. Possibly I need to get the bios on the AHA 2940 to turn on when the
    computer boots. But I am not sure how to do it.
    2. I could possibly purchase an internal to external cable for the
    AIC-7881U and mount the external 50 pin adapter in the opening for an
    expansion card.

    Please advise as to what would be the route most likely to get the
    scanner recognized so that I can use it to scan some material and the
    steps I need to follow to get the system up and running. Thanks.

    Below is some other info on the computer I am running:

    processor=Pentium
    processor_speed=200
    harddrive=IDE
    cdrom=IDE
    graphic=Trident TGUI 9440
    graphic_mem=1 MgB
    sound=none
    network=none
    scsi_card=yes
    scsi_model=AIC-7881U/AHA2940UUW (Only AIC-7881U presently being recognized)

    --
    William Lott
    Connecticut Center for Economic Analysis