SANE fails for Epson GT8700(=Perfection1640?)

From: Phil Cummins (cummins@xochitl.jamstec.go.jp)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 19:23:30 PDT

    Hello,

       I am having some trouble getting an Epson GT8700 to work
    with SANE. Recently, Pete Miller posted a success report for
    an Epson Perfection 1640, which appears to be the same machine
    (I bought mine in Japan, where it's called the GT8700). Pete
    uses the USB port whereas I use the SCSI. We are both using
    the latest version (1.03) of SANE. I'm running Redhat 6.2
    whereas he's runing Redhat 7.0. SANE works fine for him (he
    said the images were a little pale), but for me it fails whenever
    I try to do a scan, with the error message:

    [epson] option: fatal error

    I should mention that the scanner seems to get recognized OK.
      Pete was kind enough to send me the debug output from an
    xscanimage run (thanks Pete!) and I compared it to what I get
    (i.e., both with SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=128). During the startup of
    xscanimage the only thing different in the debug output is that
    his attaches to /dev/usb/scanner0, whereas mine attaches to
    /dev/sgb (my hard disk is on the same SCSI bus), and his
    reports the sanners name as a Perfection1640 whereas mine is
    GT8700. There are some other differences, but they look minor -
    densities, scan area, and a lot of other info apparently
    reported by the scanner is identical in both cases. But when
    one actually does a scan ("Preview window" -> "Acquire Preview"),
    what happens is this:

    Pete's listing:
    [epson] sane_read: begin
    [epson] sane_read: begin scan1
    [epson] receive buf, expected = 6, got = 6
    [epson] buf[0] 02 .
    [epson] buf[1] 02 .
    [epson] buf[2] 35 5
    [epson] buf[3] 00 .
    [epson] buf[4] ff .
    [epson] buf[5] 00 .
    [epson] sane_read: buf len = 53
    [epson] sane_read: buf len (adjusted) = 13515
    [epson] receive buf, expected = 13515, got = 13515
    [epson] buf[0] ff .
    [epson] buf[1] ff .

    ... followed by more of what is evidently image data

    whereas mine is:

    [epson] sane_read: begin
    [epson] sane_read: begin scan1
    [epson] receive buf, expected = 6, got = 6
    [epson] buf[0] 02 .
    [epson] buf[1] a2 .
    [epson] buf[2] 00 .
    [epson] buf[3] 00 .
    [epson] buf[4] 00 .
    [epson] buf[5] 00 .
    [epson] fatal error - Status = a2
    [epson] send buf, size = 2
    [epson] buf[0] 1b .
    [epson] buf[1] 66 f
    [epson] receive buf, expected = 4, got = 4
    [epson] buf[0] 02 .
    [epson] buf[1] 82 .
    [epson] buf[2] 2a *
    [epson] buf[3] 00 .
    [epson] code 02
    [epson] status 82
    [epson] count 42
    [epson] receive buf, expected = 42, got = 42
    [epson] buf[0] 81 .
    [epson] buf[1] 00 .
    [epson] buf[2] 00 .
    [epson] buf[3] 00 .
    [epson] buf[4] 00 .
    [epson] buf[5] 00 .
    [epson] buf[6] 00 .
    [epson] buf[7] 00 .
    [epson] buf[8] 00 .
    [epson] buf[9] 00 .
    [epson] buf[10] 00 .
    [epson] buf[11] 00 .
    [epson] buf[12] 00 .
    [epson] buf[13] 00 .
    [epson] buf[14] 00 .
    [epson] buf[15] 00 .
    [epson] buf[16] 00 .
    [epson] buf[17] 00 .
    [epson] buf[18] 00 .
    [epson] buf[19] 00 .
    [epson] buf[20] 00 .
    [epson] buf[21] 00 .
    [epson] buf[22] 00 .
    [epson] buf[23] 00 .
    [epson] buf[24] 00 .
    [epson] buf[25] 00 .
    [epson] buf[26] 47 G
    [epson] buf[27] 54 T
    [epson] buf[28] 2d -
    [epson] buf[29] 38 8
    [epson] buf[30] 37 7
    [epson] buf[31] 30 0
    [epson] buf[32] 30 0
    [epson] buf[33] 20
    [epson] buf[34] 20
    [epson] buf[35] 20
    [epson] buf[36] 20
    [epson] buf[37] 20
    [epson] buf[38] 20
    [epson] buf[39] 20
    [epson] buf[40] 20
    [epson] buf[41] 20
    [epson] option: fatal error
    [epson] Selected resolution 50 dpi
    [epson] set = 0.000000
    [epson] set = 0.000000
    [epson] set = 215.899994
    [epson] set = 297.179993

    No preview image appears, and xsanimage is hung at this point.
    Can anyone please give me any advice as to what to try next? I will
    be happy to send the full debug logs to anyone who is interested.
    Many thanks,

    - Phil