Re: Problems with Acer ScanPrisa 640S

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 18:42:12 PDT

    cbagwell@sprynet.com wrote:

    > I have a Acer 640BU Scanner which is USB. I've noticed a few problems
    > with the sane-1.0.3 backend (using some USB patches). Most of them
    > are lockup related.
    >
    > I have better luck with the version of sane-1.0.1. You might download
    > it and try it out. The same change you added to 1.0.3 is needed but
    > label it as a SNAPSCAN600 instead of a PRISA620S.
    >
    > Also, I'm slowing adding patches to the new snapscan webpage. They
    > include patches for USB support and various snapshots of the
    > developement between whats in sane-1.0.1 and sane-1.0.3.

    Is that really helpful? The 1.0.1 backend is very different from the 1.0.3 -
    a major rewrite, in fact. The 1.0.3 backend is clearly the future (it wasn't
    rewritten without good reason), so why not concentrate on improving that, and
    leave the old versions behind. Multiple versions not only dissipate
    development effort, but encouraging people to try them will just reduce
    feedback on the most interesting version - the latest.

    Regards,
    Steve