Re: [snapscan] Sourceforge request submitted

From: David Mosberger-Tang (David.Mosberger@acm.org)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 16:20:40 PDT

    >>>>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:28:00 +0800, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> said:

      Petter> Parhaps we should do the same for the SANE project itself?
      Petter> It would give us a working bug tracking and a patch manager
      Petter> system. I do not think we want to use some of the other
      Petter> features. (Parhaps the CVS repository, but the Hungry
      Petter> Programmers one works just fine. :-)

    In my opinon, it's a mistake to collect all open source projects in a
    single place. A uniform directory a la Freshmeat is a great idea, but
    sourceforge worries me because it represents a single point of
    failure. "Failure" here could mean anything from denial of service
    attacks, polluting source code with nasty viruses, bankruptcy of the
    sponsor, or hostile takeover of the sponsor by another company. Yeah,
    all of this is possible with pretty much any other site as well, but
    the more projects are hosted in a single place, the more worthwhile a
    target it becomes.

    Diversity is good and perhaps best way to make a complex ecological
    system robust.

            --david