Re: SANE and general USB support

From: cbagwell@sprynet.com
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 11:24:47 PDT

    Thanks for the comments so far. It does sound like I will not be
     overlapping with other peoples work very much.

    A minor clarification on what I'm also planning on doing. I did
     mention that it would probably have compile problems currently on
     other platforms. This is probably not true since no one uses any
    USB specific ioctl() calls that could fail. Right now its all
     read()/write()'s. In that regard I was thinking more along the lines
     of future USB drivers that could kill compiles if they accessed
     ioctl()'s.

    Also, at least on Linux most of the usb work is done by scanner.o.
     Therefore I'd like to make a generic wrapper in case other platforms
     don't do as much work. Also, I'm thinking of moving the current USB
     code from the snapscan driver that simulates sanei_scsi_cmd()
     function calls and turns them into USB calls. Since current USB
     devices are usually SCSI over USB it should be handy (can be shared
     between the epson and snapscan today even).

    This part is lower on my feature wishlist. I'll be working on the
     config files and a way to make SCSI and USB scanners coexist happily
     at first.