Re: stupid questions (was: Invalid argument)

From: Peck Dickens (peck_d@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 03:45:55 PDT

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, you wrote the following:

    > Oh, the spammer's refrain. "If you don't like it just ignore it".

    My two cents:

    A users questions are not spam. However, I do agree that better documentation
    concerning how you use SANE is in order. Something along the lines of a step by
    step. This would remove alot of the redundant questions that users ask
    regarding usage that developers consider have obvious answers. The problem with
    the documentation is that due to the number of backends, a unified document
    describing usage is difficult to create... At least one that would make sense
    to the average reader.

    I propose that a standard template be adopted that describes how information
    will provided to users concerning correct usage of SANE and the accompaning
    back-ends be implimented. Perhaps something along the lines of:

    You have a HP Scanjet II... So the SANE instructions tell you to *first* start
    reading the section on the HP Scanjet II back-end. In the instructions, it
    tells you to go to page "whatever" to install the SANE and once you complete
    the SANE installation comeback and the back-end configuration. Of
    course, at that point, all of the information concerning how to configure and
    use the HP Scanjet II would be in a step by step format.

    I realize that this is a tall order. Who wants to write documentation when you
    code...?... However, there have to people out there who use SANE who want to get
    involved, but cannot code... They *can* write documentation. All we have to do
    is put together a standard template describing the format so the information
    goes together in a coherent manner. After all documentation is as important as
    the application itself. SANE is classy product. The documentation should be too.

    --

    Best

    M. Peck Dickens