Re: Problems with Mustek 1200 SP, mode color. WITH debug.log

From: Paul Aschenborn (paul.aschenborn@kawo2.rwth-aachen.de)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 01:17:17 PDT

    Hello,,

    H> blue, green or red. Well not just shifted, that I could correct ...

    > > The most remarkeable thing about it is, that it is reproduceable and the
    > > type of the wrong color depends on the used resolution. So scanning at
    > > 120 dpi ist a blue like image without any red scanning with 125 dpi becomes
    > > more and more green ...
    > That's the "standard" line-distance correction problem. Could you please send a
    > debug log to me, I need to know the firmware version and some further
    > details of your scanner.
    > SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=5 scanimage -L 2>debug.log

    ok, did it. I'll attach the log at the end of the message.
    Firmware is 1.06

    > > Additionally I get some "bad lines" in the pictures, they repeat in a constant
    > > frequent all over the image. If the image is dark, those lines (1-3 pixel
    > > broad)
    > > are bright and visa versa.
    > These are at the place where the scanner starts a new block ob data. If you
    > change the buffersize (option buffersize in mustek.conf) the distance
    > between these lines should change, too.

    Hm well this is correct. But how do I fix it

    > > Since there are no options in the mustek.conf I tried out so change almost
    > > everything
    > > I can.
    > In mustek.conf, option linedistance-fix should be removed or commented out
    > if it's there.

    It is commented out. Neither having it aktive or commented out it does not change
    the
    behavior :-(

    > The problem is probabaly easy to solve in mustek.c when I know the firmware
    > version. I had one more report about a similar problem since SANE 1.0.3.
    >
    > > The problem is the same with different types of images, different
    > > kernels (2.2.14 - 2.2.17)
    > > and I even plugged a Adaptec 2490 in. All the same error.

    To correct my type error: 2940 :-)

    > The error results from different methods to compensate fort the line shift
    > of the three color CCD lines. Some scanners do this line-distance correction
    > internally, for some this must be done in the backend. So the backend must
    > know for which firmware version it should do the correction and for which
    > it's not necessary.

    ok, I got that. I am really glad you help me. I havent found a single word to that
    problems in the documentation or on the websites. Maybe I havent
    looked close enough.

    > No, that's OK. They are identical. Mustek's scanner names are quite "funny".
    > I have two 1200 SPs, both are labeled MFS-12000SP on the back. One is labeled
    > "MFS-12000SP" on the front, the other one is a "1200 SP" (without MFS). If
    > you ask the firmware for their name, it's "MSF-12000SP" (not MFS!). Ah and
    > yes, a Paragon 1200 SP III would be a total different scanner despite its
    > name.

    Yep, that's excactly what I heard about it!

    > Check if "net" is in dll.conf. You can add the name of the backend+device to
    > xsane/xscanimage:
    > xsane mustek:/dev/scanner

    Net was configured. I just messed up the "device-parameter" from scanimage and
    xscanimage!
    scanimage -dnet:computer:mustek:/dev/scanner
    xscanimage net:computer:mustek:/dev/scanner
    It works fine via network even with the frontend now.
    Ok, here comes the logfile, in hope you can help me to fix the last color -
    problem.

    Thanks a thousand time for your efforts !

    Paul

    ---debug.log---
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of mustek to 5.
    [mustek] SANE Mustek backend version 1.0 build 96 (SANE 1.0.3)
    [mustek] sane_init: authorize == null
    [mustek] sane_init: using sanei_scsi_open_extended
    [mustek] sane_init: reading config file `mustek.conf'
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 1: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 2: ignoring empty line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 3: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 4: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 5: ignoring empty line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 6: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 7: trying to attach `scsi MUSTEK * Scanner'
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 8: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 9: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 10: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 11: ignoring empty line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 12: trying to attach `scsi SCANNER'
    [mustek] attach: trying device /dev/sga
    [mustek] dev_open /dev/sga
    [mustek] dev_open: /dev/sga is a SCSI device
    [mustek] dev_open: wanted 8 kbytes, got 8 kbytes buffer
    [mustek] attach: sending INQUIRY
    [mustek] scsi_wait_ready: sending TEST_UNIT_READY
    [mustek] attach: SCSI Vendor: `SCANNER ' Model: ` ' Rev.: `1.06'
    [mustek] attach: SCSI Type: Scanner; ANSI rev.: 1
    [mustek] attach: SCSI flags:
    [mustek] attach: inquiry output:
    [mustek] 06 00 01 01 5b 01 00 00 53 43 41 4e 4e 45 52 20 ....
    [...SCANNER
    [mustek] 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
    [mustek] 31 2e 30 36 4d 55 53 54 45 4b 20 20 4d 46 53 2d 1.06MUSTEK MFS-
    [mustek] 31 32 30 30 30 53 50 20 00 cf ff ff 01 00 00 00 12000SP ........
    [mustek] 01 03 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    [mustek] 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff ................
    [mustek] attach: found Mustek scanner (new firmware format)
    [mustek] attach: old firmware revision system
    [mustek] attach: firmware revision 1.06
    [mustek] attach: scanner id: MFS-12000SP
    [mustek] attach: this is probably a Paragon series scanner
    [mustek] attach: this is a single-pass scanner
    [mustek] attach: scanner doesn't need line-distance correction
    [mustek] attach: found Mustek MFS-12000SP flatbed scanner, 1-pass
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 13: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 14: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 15: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 16: ignoring empty line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 17: trying to attach `/dev/scanner'
    [mustek] attach: trying device /dev/scanner
    [mustek] dev_open /dev/scanner
    [mustek] dev_open: Invalid argument: can't open /dev/scanner as a SCSI device
    [mustek] dev_open: Invalid argument: can't open /dev/scanner as an AB306N device
    [mustek] dev_open: can't open /dev/scanner
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 18: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 19: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 20: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 21: ignoring empty line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 22: ignoring empty line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 23: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 24: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 25: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 26: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_init: config file line 27: ignoring comment line
    [mustek] sane_get_devices
    [mustek] sane_exit