Re: Which scanner to buy?

From: Mario Wolff (sane-mailing@voll.prima.de)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 13:47:32 PDT

    Hello Marcel,

    >> The most important thing is that the scanner has to be FAST.
    >> I donīt need a high resolution (min 320 dpi) and the truth of the colour
    >> is
    >> not so important (my printer prints all a little bit red). It should
    >> have a
    >> SCSI-interface or better SCSI AND USB for future use. It should be
    >>Is there anybody who can tell my which to buy?
    >
    >I would not recommend a microtek scanner, which i have myself.

    In a german magazin (PC Magazin) is a scanner-test witch said that a
    microtek (X12USL?!?) is the fasterst thing you can buy up to 1000,-DM. Is it
    only a backend problem ??

    >It's not very fast and currently there are no backend maintainers.
    >I've heard HP-scanners and Umax scsi-scanners are good supported.

    I thougt (i think this word is wrong, i mean "think" in the past) Umax are
    slow? Can anybody else tell my somethink about an HP??

    >I would not know how fast they are though.
    >If you want it fast the best thing is to get a scsi one, and attach it to
    >a good scsi-card.

    Yes, sure! I want to setup a privat scann-server and my "do everything
    Server" is a SCSI-system.

    >Marcel Pol

    Thanks to all...
    Mario Wolff