Re: Microtek X6 USB successes?

From: Oliver Neukum (Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 14:01:40 PDT

    Am Mit, 13 Sep 2000 schrieben Sie:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone has achieved success using SANE with the
    > Microtek ScanMaker X6 USB? If so, using what hardware and what Linux
    > kernel?

    Having written half the driver I do ;-)

    It worked with test5. It _fails_ for me in test8.
    I discovered that today and I'll look into the cause.

    > Currently, I'm able to get the driver to see the scanner, and to get
    > scanimage and xscanimage to see the scanner and query its capabilities.
    > However, if I try to actually acquire an image or do a 'scanimage -T',
    > the entire machine locks up (the results are attached if anyone cares to
    > see them).
    >
    > This is on an i386 architecture (actually an Athlon/VIA chipset) using
    > the UHCI USB driver, Linux kernel 2.4.0-test8. For testing, I ran in the
    > console, with all nonessential modules (network, sound, etc.) unloaded.
    > Also, I built SANE using 'configure --enable-scsibuffersize=32768' as
    > this appears to be necessary to get the driver to work at all.

    SANE allows you to limited the buffersize dynamically
    via enviroment variables. I consider this a deficiency in
    SANE. It should accept a smaller buffer returned by the OS.

    Could you please run your oops through ksymoops ?

            Regards
                    Oliver Neukum