Re: new mustek_pp backend version

From: Jochen Eisinger (jochen.eisinger@gno.de)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 03:18:25 PDT

    Hi!

    [Grega Bremec]
    > I already thought it's not going to work, because after I installed
    > it, the symptoms were just the same as before: the sounds of the rotor
    > moving were coming out of the scanner, but the head never went
    > anywhere (although everything was happening much faster than in the
    > 8-devel version). Then, after a good night's sleep, I took another
    > look at the test session log transcript (with SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_PP set
    > to 128), and I noticed this line saying
    >
    > [mustek_pp] attach: use600 is `no'
    >
    > which gave me a good reason to think everything over. I looked at the
    > manpage (doh!), and of course, it was all there.

    Yes, maybe I should have pointed this out... there are scanners using
    the same hardware but scan at 300 dpi, so the backend can't determine
    which your are using, unless you specify it.

    > Now I can report to you that grayscale works quite well, although I
    > still have to test it with xsane to see how much post-processing can
    > improve the scan results (the raw pnm output seems a bit on the dark
    > side), as well as lineart mode (which one would almost expect, since
    > it only seems to be a small step away from grayscale scanning).

    The 600 dpi scanner support hardware gamma correction & stuff - but the
    backend doesn't (yet). This will change in the future.

    > Let me express my gratitude again, and please, if there is anything I
    > can do to help you develop a working colour-scan, do let me know.

    I'll start working on the color scans not before next week :-( from
    tuesday on I'll be at unitversity till friday (without my scanner)

    > As a side note - what is this supposed to mean (I suppose it's an
    > obsolete checkpoint now :-))?
    >
    > [mustek_pp] init_options(v1.0.9-devel): line 2701: debug exception
    > [mustek_pp] ASSERT((dev->asic_id == 0xA8) || ((dev->asic_id == 0xA5) \
    > && (dev->ccd_type == 0))) failed
    > [mustek_pp] expect disaster...
    If all feedbacks are this positive, it will surely be removed in the
    next version :)

    -- jochen