SnapScan 1212U USB Scanner

From: Ted Milker (tmilker@radiks.net)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 22:12:02 PDT

    Has anyone heard of any problems with this particular scanner
    and 2.4.0-test7? I cannot get xscanimage to use it, when I try
    to run "xscanimage /dev/usbscanner" I just get: Failed to open
    device '/dev/usbscanner': Invalid argument. It also seems to
    load all my bttv and i2c modules, which I have no idea what that
    has to do with sane.

    The firmware uploader works:

    [root@cypher tmilker]# ./agfafirm -v /dev/usbscanner
    bin/ss1212u_2.bin
    Scanner Information (from scanner)
            Vendor: AGFA
            Version: 1.32
            Model: SNAPSCAN 1212U_2
            Firmware date: Mon Jul 12 1999 19:00

    Firmware is up to date.

    This is what it says in dmesg:

    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
    scanner.c: USB Scanner support registered.
    usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.237 $ time 22:22:08 Sep 4 2000
    usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xc000, IRQ 19
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
    scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified USB scanner --
    Vendor:Product - 6bd:206
    +1
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 2 ports detected
    usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
    scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified USB scanner --
    Vendor:Product - 6bd:206
    +1

    I had to add:

            options scanner vendor=0x06bd product=0x2061

    to /etc/modules.conf to get it to show the Vendor:Product.
    Shouldn't this be saying SnapScan 1212U or something similar?

    I couldn't find documentation on what the major/minor number was
    supposed to be, so I used the numbers from the latest patch I
    could find, 2.3.41 or something like that:

    crw-rw-rw- 1 tmilker root 180, 48 Sep 7 01:46
    /dev/usbscanner

    I hope this is enough info, I tried to include everything that
    might be helpful.

    Ted

    P.S. I originally sent this message to David Nelson, and he said
    everything looked fine. I'd just like to find someone else who
    has their scanner working on USB.