Re: image defaults

From: Johan Bengtsson (johanb@lls.se)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 01:36:04 PDT

    Den Thu, 07 Sep 2000 skrev du:
    > arnaud@calvo-france.com said:
    > > "The best hope, though, is to find the natural resolution of the
    > > scanner, and scan at that resolution." How can I find that ?
    >
    > Lucky guess, I think. The information consumers get from their scanners
    > is pretty darn close to useless. However, some scanner specifications
    > give an "optical" resolution. If yours does, that is the magic number.
    > If not, the maximum resolution is the next best guess. (Though I've seen
    > some scanners with optical resolution < max resolution. At least in those
    > cases the manufacturer called the max resolution "interpolated.")
    >
    > arnaud@calvo-france.com said:
    > > What's the difference beetween "scale" and "resize"
    >
    > In gimp, "Scale" changes the size of the image by scaling the picture, and
    > "Resize" changes the size of the image by clipping or padding.

    Sorry, but that is not correct. Resize just changes the size of the image, and
    scale also changes size, but tries to to it without losing image quality. This
    is done by adding or removing pixels from the image. This is also called
    interpolation. Check page 100 and 268 in "GIMP The Official Handbook" by
    Kylander & Kylander.

    -Johan Bengtsson

    > --
    > Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    > steve@icarus.com But I have promises to keep,
    > steve@picturel.com and lines to code before I sleep,
    > http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."

                           Tent Of Miracles
        - the unofficial homepage of the legendary band Spirit:
                   http://www.lls.se/~johanb/spirit/
               August - free html editor for Unix/Linux:
                   http://www.lls.se/~johanb/august/
             E-mail @ home: johanb@lls.se    ICQ: 27505976
                    Fotografiska Föreningen i Göteborg:
                        http://www.netg.se/ffg/