Re: Microtek Phantom with ppSCSI

From: Joseph R. + Martina Eoff (j-m.eoff@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 16:19:21 PDT

    Hi!

    It is possible to get a Microtek 330CX to work under Linux. I had mine working
    for a couple of months at the beginning of the year. It is unfortunatley not
    worth the effort. I ended up buying a Mustek SE 12000SP, with which I am very
    happy. Just don't bother using the SCSI card it comes with. An Initio 9100UW
    does a very good job and is inexpensive. Back to the Phantom: There are still
    some issues in the driver that make the scans come out too dark, adn they are
    also generally reversed left for right and there are problems with the
    positioning of previews and scan areas in xsane/xscanimage. All of these
    problems are due to some work that needs to be done on the backend. It seems,
    though, that the maintainer has dropped out of sight. I haven't seen an
    announcement of a new version of the Microtek2 backend since January 2000. Bernd
    did answer a posting here a while back, but that was about all,

    BTW: The difficulties that Riku mentioned with the Windows drivers is one of the
    reasons that Windows has been banned from my computer. The crashes and random
    "Scanner doesn't want to play today" crap just got on my nerves. In Berd's
    defense, I must say that although the Windows driver delivered better scans, the
    Microtek2 backend never crashed in all the time I was monkeying with it. If you
    want to lock up Windows, pull the power plug on your Phantom in the middle of a
    scan and watch Windows croak. The Microtek2 backend just times out and exits
    gracefully. I know this because I had a bad extension cord that caused a few
    problems:-)

    Joseph R. Eoff