Re: Are we ready for a new release?

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 09:27:14 PDT

    On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 05:29:26PM +0200, Oliver Rauch wrote:
    > there are still problems with the sgi library versions.
    > The suggestion I made to Henning is a bad hack and I think
    > we should think about if we really want to use it.

    I would suggest to use this "bad hack" in release 1.0.3 and check the whole
    libtool/version system for 1.0.4. At least it seems to work for my Irix
    systems (5.3 and 6.2, gcc 2.95.2 and Irix cc) and it worked for most of the
    other platforms until now.

    I think the following is happening:
    Currently SANE seems to use libtool's -version-info but not in the intended
    manner. -version-info should be used with lib*.so.current.revision.age. With
    the current lib*.so.major.minor.patch approach it would be better to use
    libtool's -release flag. Let's check this and the AIX problems for 1.0.4.

    > What about the AIX problems?

    Doesn't seem to be solved and I don't think we can solve them quickly. We
    should move this to 1.0.4 IMHO.

    Petter, please delay release 1.0.3 until Friday 2000-08-11 for doing some
    more tests.

    Bye,
      Henning