Re: mustek_pp backend vs musteka4s2 backend

From: Jochen Eisinger (jochen.eisinger@gno.de)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 01:57:25 PDT

    Petter Reinholdtsen schrieb:

    > What is the relationship between the mustek_pp backend and the
    > musteka4s2 backend?

    Jeff wrote the musteka4s2 backend (currently v0.3) which supports ASIC
    1013 scanners. The backend is based on a stand-alone program "scan"
    which is based on the TWAIN driver. I (jochen) added some patches to
    make my ASIC 1015, CCD 0 scanner work. But with these patches some ASIC
    1013 do *not* work that good anymore. So there are two versions of the
    musteka4s2 backend which cover together all ASIC 1013 and ASIC 1015, CCD
    0 scanners, but neither fits the rules in backend/GUIDE (scanimage -T
    fails, saned/net fails, hardware IO is done in the backend).

    > Did one replace the other, or where both
    > developed independently.

    I wrote the mustek_pp backend for three reasons: a) I wanted to have a
    backend that follows backend/GUIDE, b) I wanted to have one backend for
    all scanners, c) I wanted a backend that is easy to patch for other
    chipsets.

    The mustek_pp backend is based on the mustek backend (structure) the
    TWAIN driver (protocol) and the musteka4s2 backend (names). The
    mustek_pp backend supports all ASIC 1013 scanners and the ASIC 1015, CCD
    0 scanner. There is code included for ASIC 1015, CCD 1/4 scannres and
    for ASIC 1505 scanner, but this code is still under development.

    Furthermore the hardware IO is done in sanei_pa4s2 (which is already in
    the CVS)

    > Are the same scanners supported?
    Yes, but (I hope :-) in the future mustek_pp will support more.

    -- jochen