Re: Nikon Coolscan / LS2000?

From: Karlheinz Günster (karlheinz.guenster@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 02:44:03 PDT

    Am Fre, 07 Jul 2000 schrieb dave-mlist@bfnet.com:

    Hi Dave,

    > Red Hat 6.2, Kernel 2.2.14

    SuSE 6.3., Kernel 2.2.14

    > I have tried several ways to use SANE to scan with the Nikon LS2000,
    > and none of them have worked. I'm looking for some advice as to where
    > to go next. I have never tried this scanner with a windows machine.
    >
    > I tried to FTP the sane backend for the coolscan at
    > http://www.sema.be/coolscan/ but there doesn't appear to be any FTP
    > access.

    I tried it also vainly. The last time they updated that side was
    two years ago.

    > I tried the modified backend at
    > http://andreas.rick.free.fr/sane/coolscan.html and was actually able
    > to download sane-1.0.2_coolscan043.tgz. This compiled fine, but the
    > preview and scan buttons don't seem to do anything. I tried loading
    > the film both before and after hitting the buttons.

    My LS2000 works.

    > I tried vuescan at http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html, and VueScan 5.9t53
    > for Linux. This appears to be more functional than SANE: at least the
    > abort and film eject buttons work fine. I was actually able to get a
    > sort of image from the scan, but it took a really long time, and it
    > did not look very clean. I was not able to save the image or control
    > which image on the negative to scan. This may be because of the trial
    > (unregistered) status of the software.

    Thank you for this tip. I am trying it at the moment and it is
    working, too. The installation was easy, what was very very nice.
    vuescan has more features but the scans take you a longer time.

    > Does anybody out there have an LS2000 working with SANE?

    I think you have an SCSI-problem probably with the termination or
    the cable-length.

    Karlheinz

    --
    E-Mail: karlheinz.guenster@t-online.de