RE: can't recognize UMAX-VistaS6 on AHA1520b

From: Didier Galland (didier.galland@ifrance.com)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 14:27:55 PDT

    > 1) It does not mean anything if you have no problems under windows.
    > 2) The cable internal (?) terminator is for sure not a good terminator,
    > the termination has to be at the end of the chain, that can not be done
    > with a cable internal terminator
    > 3) The 1520B is not a realy good card that also could make problems.
    >
    > Tip: disconnect the cd burner and activate the adapter (auto) termination
    > and try if that helps anything.
    > Otherwise you need to buy a 25pin terminator for the scanner.
    >
    > Bye
    > Oliver

    Thanks for the reply.

    I don't really understand what you mean by "cable internal terminator". I
    use a terminator (which is not a part of the cable, centronic 50 pin male on
    one face, centronic 50 pins female on the other) that I connect between the
    end of the cable and the scanner : scanner - terminator - cable - scsi card.
    Is that correct ??

    I've tried your tip, but with no success.

    Why the system (see the output of dmesg below) first don't recognize the
    card and after recognize it through the "BIOS test of aha152x..." ? By the
    way, in these second step, the scanner make some noise, so it receives or
    send some instructions then. Is this meaningless ?? All this is very
    mysterious for me !!!
    [first step during the boot of linux]
    scsi : 0 hosts.
    scsi : detected total.
    [...second step]
    aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
    aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=11, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
    parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended
    translation=disabled
    aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
    scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
    scsi : 1 host.
      Vendor: YAMAHA Model: CRW6416S Rev: 1.0c
      Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 16x/16x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

    Thanks again for all the advices.
    Bye
    Didier