HELP! HP ScanJet IIc and C1750A SCSI

From: Mitch O'Brien (michob@iname.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 19:19:39 PDT

    Hi All:

    Sorry if this is O/T, but I really need help. And I figure someone here
    must have gotten this combination to work. :)

    I have a HP ScanJet IIc that came with an old SCSI card HP calls the
    C1750A... it's based on the NCR 53c400, and it is non-PNP, and that's
    about all I know about it. Here's the problem: Everytime I try to
    load the g_ncr5380 driver, I completly freeze the system (look Ma! I
    can crash Linux! :) ) On boot-up, Linux reports that it does not know
    of any SCSI hosts. I've read the documentation for that SCSI driver,
    searched this mailing list, danced in a circle around the scanner
    clapping my hands and chanting, and I can't figure out how to fix this!

    My setup:
    PII-233, 96 megs RAM
    Running Redhat 6.0, kernel upgraded to 2.2.14

    To load the driver, I type:
    > modprobe sg (for the generic SCSI driver)
    > modprobe g_NCR5380 ncr_irq=255 ncr_addr=0xc800 ncr_53c400=1

    The card's dip switches are set so it uses address 0xc800.
    I also tried to set ncr_irq =254 for autoprobe.

    The driver reports that the device is busy, then it freezes everything
    up.

    I don't have any other SCSI devices, and have never used one under
    Linux, so if anyone can take me step-by-step to help get this thing
    going, that would be great!

    Thanks for the help!
    Mitch O'brien