Re: Acer 620ST update

From: Simon Edwards (simoned@eisa.net.au)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 17:42:19 PDT

    Steve Underwood wrote:
    > > When I get time I'll try to do an experiment by 'waking' the scanner up
    > > under windows then quickly booting into Linux and sane...
    >
    > My Acer 610plus wait for the scanner to warm up OK. The way it happens is
    > kind of annoying. You start xsane and nothing appears to happen until the
    > warm up has finished. Then the xsane windows appear. It takes a long time

    xscanimage always comes up quickly for me. The Win32 driver actually
    knows when the scanner is warming up and it displays a count down for 14
    seconds. I'm guessing there is some kind of SCSI command asking the
    scanner to warm up. Or maybe the driver just sends command and waits for
    a while if the scanner is sleeping and just returning 'default' values
    to commands. I should be able to experiment tonight...

    > for the scanner to time-out, and turn off its light, so I've yet to find
    > out what happens if you need to re-light the light while xsane is running.
    > Maybe the Acer620 doesn't work the same way, or maybe you are looking in
    > the wrong direction.

    :) ...that can always be the case.

    Simon Edwards