snapscan vs. acer 310S

From: Russ Burdick (grub@extrapolation.net)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 08:42:50 PDT

    ok, i've finally got a bit of time to play with my scanner again and i've
    been doing some work with my Acer Prisma 310S and the latest snapscan
    backend (snapscan-20000514.tar.gz) and sane-1.0.2.

    from what i've gone through in the source it seem that this scanner has
    the same id (and supposedly behavior) as the VUEGO310S. this brings me to
    my first question for the list: is there anyone out there using a Vuego
    310S that has had success with any version of sane+snapscan? if the vuego
    works and the acer doesnt, perhaps they're not the same inside and it'd be
    worthwhile to start thinking about separating the two in the snapscan
    code.

    back when kevin was still taking care of snapscan and active on this list
    i had a few conversations with him about trying to get snapscan working
    correctly for the acer 310S. at present everything but the very begining
    of a scan is complete garbage, so he had me try doing small scans,
    specifically < 64K. you can see some example of the output here:

    http://www.cs.umn.edu/~wburdick/sane/

    the first two are color at different resolutions and the last three are
    greyscale. the final image is of a slightly different area on my test
    image since the top of the first one didnt seem all that interesting. this
    is the one i find most interesting. it looks like the first 'block' is
    clear, then the subsequent 'blocks' get more and more garbled. i should
    also note that the resulting pnms (produced by xscanimage) 'appeared to be
    truncated' according to xv, but the greyscale images were fine. i used xv
    to check the images out and to convert them to the above referenced
    pngs. i did all of the above after 'export SANE_DEUBUG_SNAPSCAN=128' and
    the resulting output is also at the above referenced url.

    i thought before jumping into the code too deep i'd see if anyone had any
    thoughts on what i'm seeing. is there something it's doing different on
    the scans after the first one that it shouldnt be? any comments welcome.

    Russ