Re: Acer 620ST and Snapscan woes.

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 02:48:58 PDT

    Simon Edwards wrote:

    > Steffen Kluge wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 08:36:34PM +1000, Simon Edwards wrote:
    > > > I'm trying to get my Accer 620ST up and running on my Mandrake
    > > > 7.0-mobile.
    > > I couldn't get it to work with the bundled card either. It works
    > > a lot better with a Tekram DC315U. See my recent post to this
    > > list.
    >
    > That's not what I wanted to hear. :-) I read your post. WRT the buddled
    > card, kudzu detected it and set it up to use 'atp870u'. kudzu thinks it
    > is a "Artop Electronic Corp|AEC6712D SCSI".
    >
    > Check this out for a now you don't see it, now you do. This is first
    > thing in the morning. The machine and scanner have been on all night.
    > The scanner looks a bit sleepy in the morning:
    >
    > -------
    > [root@zootv /usr/src/sane-1.0.2]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    > Attached devices: none
    > [root@zootv /usr/src/sane-1.0.2]# tools/find-scanner
    > find-scanner: found scanner "Color FlatbedScanner_9 0115" at device
    > /dev/scannerfind-scanner: found scanner "Color FlatbedScanner_9 0115" at
    > device /dev/sg0
    > find-scanner: found scanner "Color FlatbedScanner_9 0115" at device
    > /dev/sga
    > [root@zootv /usr/src/sane-1.0.2]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    > Attached devices:
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: Color Model: FlatbedScanner_9 Rev: 0115
    > Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > [root@zootv /usr/src/sane-1.0.2]#
    > --------
    >
    > Anyone know what is going on? How do I turn on the debug info for the
    > snapscan backend?
    > (I might play around with the code a bit). Finally, does this error
    > message below mean that the backend sent a message to the scanner, but
    > the scanner didn't identify itself, and hence the backend thought that
    > nothing was connected there?
    > ----
    > [root@zootv /usr/src/sane-1.0.2]# scanimage -d snapscan:/dev/scanner
    > scanimage: open of device snapscan:/dev/scanner failed: Invalid argument
    > ----
    > I'm thinking that the backend can't detect the scanner...
    >
    > TIA

    A number of people say the Acer scanners will not function with the Artop
    SCSI card that many Acer scanners are supplied with. I have yet to hear
    someone say that their scanner does work with Linux, SANE and this card. On
    the other hand RedHat 6.1/6.2, sane-1.0.2, snapscan-20000514.tar.gz and an
    Acer 620ST seems to working just fine for some people using other
    SCSI cards. Probably Mandrake will too. I think you should suspect the SCSI
    driver, and not the back end software.

    My Acer 610plus came with a different SCSI card - an Acard one, I think.
    I've no idea if that works OK with any version of Linux. Its an ISA card,
    and I have no ISA slots available. I use an Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card, and
    that works OK. This setup is not yet 100% quirk free, but it is very
    usable.

    Steve