Re: "Standard" or "best" image format?

From: pixel fairy (pixelfairy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 08:57:06 PDT

    > I may be using the term "raw" incorrectly--I just
    > mean that that the
    > images have not gone through any laborious
    > post-processing after
    > scanning. I am using an auto-adjust button and
    > tweaking the contrast
    > in Xsane which performs the scans though.
    >
    > OK, so I should use TIFF. Now, on to compression.
    >
    > Xsane, via libtiff I'd imagine, provides several
    > compression
    > schemes: JPEG DCT, and something called "pack
    > bits". Is the JPEG DCT
    > compression LZT in sheep's clothing or is this
    > something I could use

    i believe the JPEG DCT really is lossy. most print
    houses would expect LZW, but theres no reason to
    compress these images unless you cant fit them on
    whatever media your sending them (they all take zip
    disks, and have no problem with DOS formatted ones) of
    course theres the UNISYS problem with LZW...

    save jpeging them for when your actually using them,
    in the mean time keep the "originals". when you do
    jpeg them, gimp versions past 1.0 have a new jpeg plug
    in that allows you to see the result in real time
    while you decide how far to compress it (and shows you
    file size while your at it) so i suggest using that.

    you may want to concider calibrating your scanner and
    monitor, look here http://ohm.phys.ualberta.ca/scarse/