Re: "Standard" or "best" image format?

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 18:56:48 PDT

    On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 09:05:57AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
    > We have scanners that do JPEG compression in hardware, making complete
    > JFIF images. In that case, reformatting into TIFF (or even uncompressing)
    > is a huge performance penalty and the native JFIF is the fastest/best format.
    > Too bad SANE doesn't really support such things.

    :|

    I'm still busy, but I really will find time eventually to write up a
    SANE 2.0 (or whatever) document. The last version is still where it
    was before and is a long way from complete, but if someone else wants
    to take up the works it's great by me... The conversations when the
    native JFIF stuff came up last time is AFAIK in mailing list
    archives and the proposals are pretty simple (even to the point
    where they could be coded in time for 1.0.3) so it will happen one
    day Stephen, even if it's just as a displacement activity while I
    am writing my thesis.

    Nick. conference bound