Re: problems with Canon scanner

From: Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 06:04:22 PDT

    Robin Kirkham wrote:

    > On Sunday, 30 April 2000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
    > >
    > > Herman Roozenbeek wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have a Canon CanoScan 300 scanner. With Sane 1.0.1 everything worked fine
    > > > But now I have upgraded to 1.0.2 and I can't get my scanner working.
    > > > As far as I can tell, the error occurs in "GET SCAN MODE".
    > >
    > > Herman,
    > > The problem is with that command which seems like a vendor
    > > special. The sg driver probably incorrectly guesses the
    > > length of that command.
    > >
    > > Since that is a recent Linux kernel the Canon backend could
    > > take advantage of the SG_NEXT_CMD_LEN ioctl to override the
    > > length of the problematic command.
    > >
    > > Alernatively you could go to the Canon backend web site and
    > > hack the sg driver as suggested. [This is ugly.]
    >
    > Is this problem really a bug in the current SANE canon backend
    > or is it a bug in the Linux sg driver?
    >
    > I had been led to believe it was the latter, but ...

    Since (and including) lk 2.2.10 it has been possible for the
    Canon backend to override the SCSI command length as noted
    above. The SG_GET_VERSION_NUM ioctl() can be used to find the
    sg version number. So it is possible for the Canon backend
    to use these and save the end user from striking these type
    of problems in recent distributions.

    So the bug was fixed 9 months ago. IMHO the Canon backend
    should have picked this up by now.

    Doug Gilbert