Newbie question - Acer Prisa 310s

From: stoney (lstone@gate.net)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 13:20:26 PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm helping a friend set up his Linux box for his new
    Acer scanner.

    Without checking the hardware compatibility list, he bought
    an Acer Prisa 310s, which we hope to run with the snapscan
    backend. (This after spending weeks getting his HP winprinter
    to print...) He has a stock RedHat 6.0 installation, with no
    other SCSI devices on the system.

    In Windows, the SCSI card is identified as a DTC 3181. I
    found some information about this card on the web, but no
    Linux documentation. I've also read the dtc README in the
    kernel sources.

    I've looked back through the archives of this list looking
    for information, and I've read all the documentation that
    came with SANE. (The package is from a falsehope rpm).

    Here's the most basic question: what modules do we need
    to load for this card?

    Logically, I'd think that sg.o and dtc.o would have to be
    loaded, but with sg.o loaded, /proc/scsi/scsi says
    no attached devices. Doing modprobe dtc (after doing
    modprobe sg) fails with an init message "device or
    resource busy."

    I've also seen mention of a program or shell script
    called find-scanner. Is this program included in the
    source download? It's not part of the rpm. (I'm not
    averse to downloading the source to get it, but my
    friend likes rpms.)

    Thanks in advance,

    Stoney