Microtek Scanmaker 630 S

From: Marcel Pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 14:40:31 PDT

    I just bought today a Microtek Scanmaker 630 with an Adaptec 1502 SCSI card.
    My first impression is that it works great with Sane.

    There is one problem though, the SCSI card doesn't work fine for me.
    I'm using it as a parport scanner at the moment. That's fine, but I would like
    to try it with the SCSI card.

    The first time I used it was with a microtek2.conf out of the box.
    My scanner made an enormous beep while scanning and some other noises.

    The second time I just got the error:
    Couldn't start Scanner; i/o error

    The default interrupt for this card would be no. 10. But my soundcard is
    already there, so I set the jumper of the scsi card to irq 9.
    I once heard that irq 9 has someting to do with irq 2, so I hope that's not a
    problem. I load the module for the card with this command:
    modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x140,9,7,1

    And then I get this (seems ok):
    kernel: aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
    kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7,
    reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended
    translation=disabled
    kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
    kernel: scsi1 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
    kernel: scsi : 2 hosts.
    kernel: Vendor: Model: Scanner 600A4 Rev: 2.21
    kernel: Type: Scanner ANSI
    SCSI revision: 02
    kernel: Detected scsi generic sgc at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

    I wonder if I can use irq 9. Irq 12 seems free, maybe I should use that.

    Also, would it matter, the scsi card looks really cheap, is it worth it, or
    would it just be as good as using it as a parport scanner?

    Thanks for the direction,