Re: xsane as root

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 15:13:42 PST

    Jeff DeFouw wrote:

    > Here's a semi-good reason to allow root:
    >
    > If xsane can't run as root, anyone trying to use musteka4s2 with it will
    > not be able to do so. The I/O routines presently require root to enable
    > parallel port I/O privileges. Eventually I'll get around to using
    > /dev/port or /dev/parport# and maybe those will help with running as a
    > user, but right now I'm swamped with other work. Some of the other
    > parallel port backends have this problem also.

    Hi Jeff,

    that of course is also no good reason and it should be changed in
    the backend or sanei_pio. If I remeber right single port permissions
    can be set by fcntl so that a user process can access the releavnt ports.
    Hm, is it possible to create a separate process with SUID bit set that
    sets the port permissions so that your backend can work with user permissions?

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch