Re: xsane as root

From: Jesper Anderson (jesper@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 05:03:05 PST

    On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 08:14:13AM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:

    > >am currently doing EVERYTHING on my system as root. This is for the
    > >simple reason that I am new to Linux and have some odd hardware in my
    > >system
    >
    > That is no reason to run everything always as root.

    That is your poinion. It also happens to be my opinion. It's hardly
    absolute truth, by any stretch; first of all, we don't know what kind
    of problems this system has.

    > The second thing is that I get a lot of questions from people who have
    > problems because they
    > run xsane as root. And I have better things to do than to read/answer such
    > unnecessary questions.

    This is a valid point, but unfortunately blocking xsane from running
    as root will not help.

    Those who don't understand will try to run xsane anyway, get a message
    that the program won't run, and then email you about it. You'll still
    get the same type of emails - odds are you'll get even _more_.

    You won't be able to change the world by making your program the odd
    one out. In fact, making your program behave in an unexpected way
    (which is what you're suggesting) is actually much more likely to
    cause you even more wasted time.

    Jesper

    -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759