Re: RPM build file

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 17:56:39 PST

    [Dave Hill]
    > It's not quite the same as $(prefix). $(prefix) says where the s/w
    > is to be installed so that, for example, the correct paths can be
    > included in executables. The RPM build process requires that the
    > software be "dummy installed" into (normally) /var/tmp/<package> and
    > then the RPM file is built from that for later installation.

    I don't get it. Why can you not compile it with the normal prefix and
    install it with your new prefix, like this:

      make all
      make install prefix="$RPM_BUILD_ROOT"

    That way the bineries are compiled with the prefix given by configure,
    and the programs are installed with prefix=$DESTDIR when copied into
    place.

    This way no changes need to be done to the makefiles. If this is the
    case, please send an updated RPM-spec and I'll put it in the
    distribution.

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no