Re: New CVS snapshot 20000213

From: Jens Scheithauer (jenss@sco.COM)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 13:34:23 PST

    > > Please test this version on Unixware and HP/UX. I hope it will
    > > compile out of the box now, but need someone to test it.

    I've tested the 20000213 snapshot on my Unixware 7.1.1 system. It built
    out of the box after I've compiled the rev utility and added it to the
    system.

    The sanity checks I've done indicate that everything works fine. I've
    tried an HP Scanjet 6250 and a UMAX Vista S6E (both connected locally) and
    an Epson GT-7000 (over the network). Gimp support is ok, too.

    I've written a README.unixware7 with a couple of notes which is attached
    to this mail. Could someone with write access add this file to the CVS
    repository, please? Thanks!

    -Jens

    Jens Scheithauer The Santa Cruz Operation Limited
    Software Engineer Registered in England No 2063779
                                         Croxley Business Park, Hatters Lane
    Tel: +44 (0)1923 813 803 Watford, WD1 8YN
    Fax: +44 (0)1923 813 804 England

    SANE on UnixWare 7
    ==================

    The easiest way to get SANE working on a UnixWare 7.1.X system (UW 7.0.0
    and 7.0.1 are not supported) is to download and install the SANE binary
    distribution from SCOs Skunkware web site. The URL is:

            ftp://ftp.sco.com/skunkware/uw7/Packages

    Use the pkgadd command to install the files, e.g.:

            # pkgadd -d `pwd`/sane-1.0.2.pkg

    A web page with further information specific to SANE on UnixWare 7 can be
    found here:

            http://www.sco.com/skunkware/sane/index.html

    However, please note that the SANE package that is available from the
    Skunkware server will most likely contain the latest stable version of
    SANE. Since SANE is continously being worked on, you might want to download
    the latest source from the CVS repository and build the source yourself.

    To build SANE on a UnixWare 7.1.X system the following packages are required:

            * make (GNU make)
            * glibs (contains gtk, glib, libjpeg, libpnm, libtiff etc.)

    The packages can be downloaded from the Skunkware ftp server (see URL above).
    I've used the following versions to build sane-1.0.2:

            * make-3.78.1.pkg
            * glibs-2.0.3.pkg

    If you want to include support for The Gimp (this is optional), you need to
    install the gimp package, too. This is the version I've used:

            * gimp-1.0.4.pkg

    GCC is not required. SANE compiles quite happily (and faster) with UnixWares
    native C compiler.

    You also need a utility called 'rev' which isn't part of UnixWare 7. This
    tool is used by the backend Makefile to give the SANE libraries in their
    target locations the proper names. You can find the rev source at the end
    of the README.unixware2 file. Save the code as rev.c, compile it and copy
    the binary to a location that is in your $PATH, e.g. /usr/local/bin:

            (save code as rev.c)
            # cc -o rev rev.c
            # cp rev.c /usr/local/bin

    Set the LD_RUN_PATH variable to add /usr/local/lib to the list of directories
    to be searched by the dynamic linker:

            $ LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/lib
            $ export LD_RUN_PATH

    Run the configure script as following:

            $ LIBS="-lsdi" ./configure

    (The sdi library contains the SCSI passthrough functions the UW7 port of SANE
    uses to access the scanner from user space.)

    Run gmake to build SANE:

            $ gmake

    SCSI access from user space requires special privileges. If you want users
    without root perms to be able to use the scanner you can use the filepriv
    command to change the privileges that are associated with the SANE
    applications:

            # /sbin/filepriv -f driver -f sysops /usr/local/bin/scanimage
            # /sbin/filepriv -f driver -f sysops /usr/local/bin/xscanimage
            # /sbin/filepriv -f sysops /usr/local/bin/xcam

    If you have built SANE with support for The Gimp you might want to create
    a symlink from the plug-in directory to the xscanimage and xcam binaries,
    e.g.:

            # ln -s /usr/local/bin/xscanimage \
                    /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.0/plug-ins/xscanimage
            # ln -s /usr/local/bin/xcam /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.0/plug-ins/xcam

    Questions? Comments? Please send e-mail to jenss@sco.com or skunkware@sco.com!