Re: SCSI Cable

From: Brian Beattie (beattie@aracnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 09:56:33 PST

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Tom Napolitano wrote:

    > > You really do not want to hook a scanner up to the same SCSI buss as your
    > > disk drives, if you ask me. I have my disks on one SCSI buss and my
    > > Scanner and CD-RW drive on another.
    > >
    > > Brian Beattie | The only problem with
    > > beattie@aracnet.com | winning the rat race ...
    > > www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat
    >
    > I'm not sure why you say this, but you must have a reason. I've been
    > using Adaptec SCSI controllers on my machines since 1988 or so and that's
    > one of their niceties, just toss on a device, disks, tape, scanners, cdrom,
    > and they get recognized. Modulo setting the device numbers and terminators
    > of course. I'm curious about why you would have these bad experiences.
    >
    > You pay more for a real full featured SCSI controller, but you save in
    > headaches.

    I too use adaptec, this is not an issue of teh quality fo eth host
    adapter. The problem is that Scanners are slooooow, and some of
    them can interfere with, or slow down access to the faster disks.

    It may well be that a good host adapter and a well behaved scanner may not
    exibit any problems, but so far it looks to me as though few scanners are
    all that well behaved.