Re: make backend work on usb

From: Oliver Neukum (Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 10:32:15 PST

    Am Son, 06 Feb 2000 schrieben Sie:
    > I've been following both the USB and the sane list since I bought an AGFA
    > snapscan USB scanner. After much testing and fighting, and despite loads of help
    > from both groups, I eventually flogged this scanner for a SCSI one. However, I
    > do know that there has been success in this area. Namely, David Nelson was able
    > to get a few HP USB scanners to work. The solution is two-fold. First, you have
    > to get the scanner talking to your PC over the USB port. This is the job of the

    I've gotten into contact with David Nelson and joined several
    mailing lists. I get the scanner to be detected.
    However, from the USB side the scanner is odd. I forced the driver
    to talk to the scanner regardless. I am quite confident that I can write
    to the scanner. I am not sure whether I can read from the scanner.

    > USB driver. This will give you a /dev/usbscanner. Next, you need to get sane to
    > talk to your scanner via /dev/usbscanner.

    > David Nelson has got some HP scanners talking via usb, and with a little
    > modification of his code, I had my AGFA talking as well. David was quite helpful
    > with this, considering that I'm am not a programmer, he showed me exactly where
    > to modify the code and exactly what to change to get it talking. Once you get
    > your scanner talking over USB, then you need to work with the sane side.

    The scanner reports two sources of data. I am not sure
    whether I am reading from the correct one, or even if I need to do some
    weirder stuff.
    The scanner simply doesn't answer. Now I don't know whether that is because
    I do the reading wrongly, or I do send the wrong commands.

    > Sane side: Now that your scanner is talking over USB, it may not be talking
    > SCSI. If you are lucky, as David was with HP, the scanner may use the same
    > protocol. Otherwise, you will need to find out what protocol the scanner uses
    > over USB. The HP's did use SCSI over the USB port, but, sadly, my AGFA scanner
    > didn't. This was why I eventually sold it to my niece, who is using Windows98.

    The windows driver does, according to documentation, both types.

    > This will be a major undertaking on your part to get this working. Lots of
    > people on both lists will be quite helpful, but you can expect to do quite a bit

    I am going to try to read from the other source, unless I get better ideas.
    I'd appreciate links to tools. I know C but neither USB nor scanners.
    Please, please suggestions !?

    > of work, with assistance. IF you can get it working, you can feel quite good
    in > yourself for making such a major contribution to Linux. USB and scanners
    are > areas that need lots of work. If not, be more careful when buying
    hardware. I > know, I've made many mistakes buying hardware only to find that
    the support > wasn't there. I am now much more careful to check what is and
    isn't supported > before I buy now. I've had to replace a modem, a printer and
    a scanner. And I've > gotten loads of grief from the wife each time.