Re: fork or pthread for async I/O?

From: Yuri Dario (mc6530@mclink.it)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 06:50:49 PST

    >I'm currently thinking about using POSIX threads to implement asynchronous
    >I/O in my backend.

    the current OS/2 release is using threads instead of fork() calls;
    that's because low-level scsi handlers can't be used with fork().

    So I have implemented a sanei_thread lib that replaces the following
    calls:

    fork
    kill
    waitpid
    wait

    On non-OS/2 platforms, sanei_thread simply calls the same functions.
    With sanei_thread only a few changes to current code are needed (mainly
    thread start and parameter checking).

    Maybe it is possible to expand such implementation.

    Bye,

            Yuri Dario

    /*
     * member of TeamOS/2 - Italy