fork or pthread for async I/O?

From: Ingo Wilken (Ingo.Wilken@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 12:58:49 PST

    Hi

    I'm currently thinking about using POSIX threads to implement asynchronous
    I/O in my backend. Most backends that currently implement asynchronous
    I/O do so by creating a pipe and fork()ing a reader process. Since this
    already requires POSIX support (pipe(), fork()), requiring pthreads for
    a backend should not be much of a problem? The backend could fall back
    to simple synchronous I/O if pthreads are not available (check at
    compile-time).

    Regards,
    Ingo