Re: Microtek Scanmaker X6 SCSI

From: Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 09:01:24 PST

    On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 09:16:47AM +0100, Harald Finster wrote:
    > Christoph Hohn wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello !
    > > My name is Christoph Hohn and my problem is the sane-package under SuSE 6.1.
    > > I have got a Microtek Scanmaker X6 SCSI and an Adaptec AVA
    > > 1505-SCSI-Controller-Card.
    > > When I start scanning a picture (24 bit) with xscanimage for the first time, the
    > > scanned picture looks quite good.
    > > When I try to scan it again, the picture look pixelized and the quality of the
    > > colors is bad.
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a similar configuration (SuSE 6.3, AVA1055, X6) and experienced
    > similar problems :
    > Scanning in flatbed mode occasionaly results in wrong colours.
    > This affects the preview and the 'real' scan independently, i.e.
    > I might get a correct preview and a 'wrong' scan and vice versa.
    > I can not reproduce this error.
    > Using the transparancy media adapter results in chaotic images
    > in preview and in scan mode. Sometimes the whole system hangs until
    > I switch the scanner off.

    And I still do not know why some of the X6's work with the TMA option,
    whereas others don't. This is especially true for grayscale mode, because
    in grayscale mode the backend simply copies the data as they are transferred
    from the device into the application buffer.

    As I wrote in my other mail older versions of the backend had a problem
    with pixelized images on an X6. The solution was to exchange two of
    the SCSI commands. Maybe something similar is necessary in this case.

    If possible, can you trace a scan (with wine, for example) and compare
    the output with the debug output of the backend or send me the output ?
    I do not have a TMA and cannot test it. When I force the backend into
    TMA mode it silently starts scanning from the flatbed, but the colors
    and size of the image are OK.

    Bernd

    --
    Bernd Schroeder