Re: More info on my HP Scanjet IIp prob.

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 04:58:29 PST

    Ben Laurie wrote:

    > Peter Kirchgessner wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello Nicholas,
    > >
    > > it seems that the scanner does not respond to some of the very first
    > > inquire commands. It recognized as an HP scanner because otherwise it
    > > would have failed earlier.
    > > Maybe it is a timing problem.
    >
    > This doesn't seem quite right coz...
    >
    > > > [hp] scsi_inquire: sending INQUIRE
    > > > [hp] scsi_new: sending TEST_UNIT_READY
    > > > [hp] scsi_flush: writing 2 bytes:
    > > > 0x0000 1B 45 .E
    > > > [hp] scsi_flush: writing 7 bytes:
    > > > 0x0000 1B 2A 73 32 35 37 45 .*s257E
    > > > [hp] scsi_read: 0 bytes:
    > > > [hp] scl_inq: malformed response: expected 's257d', got ''
    >
    > Here it appears to test for the version, and gets s257E instead of
    > s257d, and then...
    >
    > > > [hp] scl_errcheck: Can't read SCL error stack: Error during device I/O
    > > > [hp] sanei_hp_device_new: SCL reset failed
    >
    > erroneously goes on to treat it as a SCSI error.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ben.

    Hello,

    it is a little bit more complicated. The .E is the <ESC>E reset-command
    which is send to the scanner. The next command sent is <ESC>*s257E
    (inquire current error stack). The writing routines do not report an
    error. The scanner then should respond with <ESC>*s257d<value>V with
    <value> as 0 or 1. But the read routine returned with 0 bytes read. That
    is unusual and is treated as an I/O-error. Therefore I thought it would
    be a timing problem.

    --Peter

    > --
    > SECURE HOSTING AT THE BUNKER! http://www.thebunker.net/hosting.htm