Re: Success! EPSON1200S

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 14:08:01 PST

    On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 11:02:48AM -0500, Christopher Orth wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was pleased with how easy it was to get my new EPSON Perfection
    > 1200S running with linux, so I thought I'd rave about it at all of the
    > appropriate places.
    >
    > Installation was a snap. The included Adaptec 29xx PCI SCSI card
    > (AIC 7850 chipset, apparently) was detected no problem. I downloaded
    > compiled and installed sane-1.0.1 with no errors. I had the gimp fired up
    > scanning images after only a couple of gotchas:
    >
    > 1) The scanner had to be on during boot

    No. You can probe for devices while Linux is running. Just issue the
    following command as root:

    echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 4 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

    ... that's for my system, where the scanner is attached as device number
    four on the first adapter. Just replace the "4" with the ID of your
    scanner.

    If you want to power down the scanner without rebooting you have to
    remove the scanner first from the SCSI system by using the following
    command (again, this is for device number four, just use your ID):

    echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 0 4 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

    > 2) I had to make xscanimage suid root. scanimage worked without
    > this kludge. I'll look in the docs again tonight to see if I
    > missed something here

    Again, this is not necessary: Let's assume, that your scanner is
    connected as device number four, therefore it will show up as
    /dev/sg4. The file mode on this device is what lets you scan, or
    what gives you the error message when xscanimage is not setuid root.
    So if you create a new group "scan" and make yourself a member of this
    group and set the group of the /dev/sg4 device file to "scan", and
    set the file mode to 660 you can scan without having xscanimage be
    setuid root.

    BTW: Check out xsane, which is a much better frontend than xscanimage.
    You can find it at http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch/sane/sane-xsane.html

    Your scanner is not used with all it's capabilities if you are using
    Sane "out of the box". There is a better backend available from
    Christian Bucher at http://www.vernetzt.at/~bucher/Epson/Epson.html
    Read the installation instructions and if you have any questions
    regarding the installation, ask me. Don't bother Christian too much
    so that he can use his time for making his software even better :-)

    Have fun scanning,

    Karl Heinz

    --
    Karl Heinz Kremer                                      khk@khk.net