RE: Which backends do work with xsane

From: marcel pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 15:42:10 PST

    On 13-Jan-00 Oliver Rauch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to know which backends(with version) do work (or not) with
    > xsane(with version).
    >
    > sane-umax works, what about others?

    Microtek doesn't seem to work out here.

    Using:
    Xsane 0.49
    Sane 1.0.1
    Microtek backend 0.10 (modified: added model code 0 x65....)
    parport scanner Microtek Pagewiz
    ppscsi and onscsi modules (from http://www.torque.net/parport/ppscsi.html)

    In short: everything works just the same as with xscanimage, but when scanning
    the image the program Xsane disappears from the screen.

    I used them as standalone programs.
    The thing I always get with scanning is an i/o-error, with preview and with
    scanning, but I just ignore this. Also what happens is the first preview and
    the first scan is nothing, after that I can scan. This happens each time I
    start the programs. I hope it is clear that this happens with Xsane and
    Xscanimage.
    With both programs I can make a preview.
    With both programs I can make the first scan, which is nothing.
    with Xscanimage I can then make the real scan, which works out good.
    With Xsane I can start making a real scan, but one second later Xsane
    disappears from the screen.
    I can start the two programs again. But they complain that there are no
    devices.
    This happened yesterday evening, and today I could make it happen again.

    Another thing; the hardware didn't like it. It's always so that the light of
    the scanner turns off after half an hour, leaving just a little green led
    on the front burning. But this afternoon I found out the light was still on,
    since yesterday. I wanted to boot M$ 98 (sorry), but it failed, I guess for the
    scanner. Only when I pulled off the power-supply cable and put it back on
    it made M$ boot. I'm almost certain that it was caused by the scanner,
    because always when I leave the power-supply off the scanner, M$ hangs for a
    minute when booting.

    I don't know about other Microtek scanners, but this one doesn't seem to work
    with Xsane.

    Marcel Pol
    mpol@gmx.net