Re: recommendations, what scanner to buy

genkin@canada.com
15 Dec 1999 18:45:07 -0500

Nathan Kennedy <nathan@mail.puget.net> writes:

> I recently purchased a UMAX Astra 1200C from PC Connection for $99.00 +
> shipping. After updating the sane-umax backend everything worked fine. In
> fact this one scans faster than the parallel port scanner I was using before
> under winblows. This scanner has many features that make it a great scanner,
> and I think that PC Connection still has more. Check them out at
> www.pcconnection.com.

I also considered that. Acer 620S seem to be pretty cheap, but it
looks like they are discontinued.

I just bought a Microtek Scanmaker X6 (the model is labeled "for
Macs", but it works with PCs as well), and it worked with sane out of
the box. I paid $160 canadian (a little over $100US).

I have had it for only a couple of days, so I can's say much more.

--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who